Connect with us

National

Fire Trail Road Shantytown Removed After Months of Warnings

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – Residents of a small Fire Trail community will not be returning to their homes today as a small shantytown, once a home to between 30-50 residents, was demolished on Monday morning.

Published

on


Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

NASSAU , THE BAHAMAS – Time has run out for nearly 50 residents living in unregulated housing off of Fire Trail Road.

The government demolished the small shantytown, early on Monday morning leaving many without a place to sleep.

Officials say that they given enough advanced notice and that they have gone well beyond what is required.

Our Joshua Williams, who’s been following the shantytown crisis for sometime had this report.

While many went to work in the hopes of returning home, residents of a small Fire Trail community will not be returning to their homes today.

The small shantytown was once a home to between 30-50 residents and was demolished on Monday morning.

Officer-in-charge superintendent, Stephen Carey, says eviction notices were laid back in June, giving what they describe as more than enough time to vacate.

Supt. Stephen Carey – Officer-In-Charge, UCATF

“At that time, no work was done person said, move out and new person that moved in. We returned again on Thursday of last week where we told him that on Monday morning there will be a demolition on this property today. We’re here demolishing the property and cleaning it up.”

It appears as the residents did not heed the notices.

As the structures were torn down, furniture could still be seen and even clothes still in closets.

Others were lifting beds, and other belongings in the street as bystanders watched.

Some of them claiming that they pay a Bahamian land lord 150 dollars per person every month and now they have nowhere to go.

A Haitian national with Bahamian citizenship says she understands their situation.

Resident

“They give them plenty time to move kind of trying to tell them they tell them to move. They say yes I am moving the move and when they see the government do nothing all of them coming back here so that means they didn’t have no intention to move at all. “

Since the task force starting working 2 years ago, over a thousand unregulated structures have been torn down which is the largest number in years.

There are still many more nationwide that remain untouched.

Supt. Stephen Carey – Officer-In-Charge, UCATF

“Once the 28 day notice is given and the 28 days have passed, we can come tomorrow morning and start the demolished so there is no second one. We have already given a one in 28 days and then once we become, the buildings will be demolish.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending