Advertisement

NASSAU , BAHAMAS – A sexual assault investigation by police involving an 18-year-old woman is now at the center of a social media firestorm, after purported voice notes started circulating online, allegedly connected to the case.
The fallout has also reached a local victims’ advocacy group, after one of its representatives came out publicly in defense of a relative.
An 18-year-old woman’s report of sexual assault is now at the center of a growing social media firestorm, after purported explicit voice notes began circulating online.
Adding to the controversy, Wendy Fox, then-Freeport director for Families of All Murdered Victims, or FOAM, publicly came to the defense of an accused relative.
Fox suggesting online the family member is innocent.
Her comments came as the purported recordings were widely shared, with a male voice heard describing an alleged sexual encounter with a young woman.
Our news cannot independently verify the authenticity of those recordings, the identity of the speaker, or whether the recordings are connected to a police investigation.
Police confirming there is an active investigation into an allegation of assault that started Friday.
An 18-year-old woman reported that she was travelling in a vehicle with a female friend and two men shortly before four that morning.
According to police, her friend was dropped off in the Bernard Road area before the other male passenger was taken to his residence.
The complainant told police that while the vehicle was later parked at the driver’s residence, she lost consciousness.
She reported regaining consciousness at around six that morning and said the driver told her she was home.
Police say after returning to her residence, the woman said she realized she had been sexually assaulted.
Some details discussed in the purported voice notes appear similar to parts of the account released by police, but police have not publicly confirmed a connection between the recordings and their investigation.
As Fox’s comments drew attention online, FOAM President Khandi Gibson moved to distance the organization from the matter.
Gibson first said FOAM was aware of allegations involving a relative of one of its representatives, but stressed the organization was not involved in the private matter.
She added that FOAM does not condone violence, abuse, or sexual misconduct of any kind, and said the matter should be left to the authorities.
Hours later, Gibson announced Fox was no longer authorized to act in any capacity on behalf of FOAM or its Freeport base.
The controversy also drawing reaction from political circles.
Sea Breeze MP Leslia Miller-Brice said she was deeply disturbed, saying sexual violence cannot be normalized or treated as a joke.
PLP Senator Keno Wong also called for a thorough police investigation, saying any unlawful action should be determined by the evidence and the justice system.
Police have not publicly identified a suspect or announced any charges.
However, one person is in custody assisting with the investigation, which remains ongoing.