Connect with us

National

National Security Minister: We Will Not Do Anything Hastily

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – As the situation in Haiti worsens, the national security minister guaranteed the safety of defence force officers, saying they will not be sent into Haiti blind. 

Published

on


Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – As the situation in Haiti worsens, the national security minister guaranteed the safety of defence force officers, saying they will not be sent into Haiti blind. 

It comes as turmoil rages on in the island nation and as CARICOM leaders and a top U.S. official hold an emergency meeting in Jamaica over the issue.

National Security Minister Wayne Munroe gave this assurance Monday.

The Bahamas has committed to sending 150 RBDF troops as a part of the United Nations peacekeeping mission.

Conditions in Haiti seem to have reached a boiling point as gang factions roam the streets. Their leader threatened a civil war.

The Haitian prime minister is unable to return home after a meeting in Kenya over conditions there. He’s currently in Puerto Rico. 

Prime Minister Philip Davis is in Jamaica for an emergency meeting with CARICOM leaders over the ongoing turmoil in Haiti.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinkin is set to attend that meeting and at the time of the interview, Munroe said those meetings hadn’t started yet.

Just Monday morning, the Royal Bahamas Defence Force interdicted a migrant vessel with 140 Haitian nationals.

Haiti has been in a state of turmoil since the assassination of President Jovenel Moise in 2021. However, the last two weeks saw a surge in violence after gangs took control of Port-au-Prince. 

As RBDF officers stand ready to move into Haiti if needed, Munroe says so far the officers haven’t expressed any major concerns.

Comments

Trending